Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

A FEW TIPS FOR AVOIDING COLD'S & FLU THIS WINTER

As an RN, I'm not an advocate of the 'flu shot'. In my profession, we, as health care professionals are strongly encouraged to get the flu shot so as not to infect our patients. I KNOW that I personally do not need it, but I do it out of obligation to my company and the health of my patients. But if you follow these simple suggestions you might be able to avoid any kind of nasty little mutating virus this winter. I have not had the flu in many, many years and my children have always remained healthy, rarely missing a day of school. So here are my tips to remain virus free this winter :
  1. Drink 8- 8ounce glasses of water every single day. I know that this is a no brainer, but it works...really! To help you get your 8 glasses in, start with 2 glasses first thing upon rising, 2 at lunch, 2 at dinner and 2 in the evening (try not to drink before bed, as this will keep you up at night going to the bathroom and defeat tip #4).
  2. With a Q-tip, swab your ears out w/ peroxide every morning.  The peroxide travels down the eustachian tubes and kills any harboring germs plus you get the added benefit of clearing out ear wax (which also can harbor germs).
  3. With a Q-tip, swab your nasal passages with warm water, then follow w/oil - olive or safflower every morning. The dry air causes small fissures in your nasal canal.   To a virus particle, these membrane fissures are like the Grand Canyon and causes an excellent entry into the blood stream.
  4. Make sure you are getting enough (unmedicated) sleep. This is your body's only defense to renew itself. (I know, another no brainer)- melatonin is a good natural relaxer to take before bedtime.
  5. Last but not least. EXERCISE.  Cannot stress enough on this one. I personally like exercise that exerts you physically - like running, then I like to compliment this the next day with one that stretches your mind and your body, like yoga. I find this to be a 'balance' for the body. For one extreme of exercise if not followed by another extreme of the opposite tends to lead to imbalance (like everything else in life).
 Remember : VIRUSES CANNOT REPLICATE IF THEY DO NOT FIRST MAKE ENTRY INTO THE BLOODSTREAM, INVADE OUR INDIVIDUAL CELLS, SET UP THE CELLULAR MANUFACTURING APPARATUS WITH THE VIRAL BLUEPRINT AND TURN THE PLACE INTO A VIRAL FACTORY.
In short, the whole point of these tips is to not let the little devils in your body in the first place. So follow these tips and this will help you and your family have a healthy and happy winter season.

Happy and Healthy Fall to Everyone,
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment