Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

DO THE CRAZY THING!


I have a bucket list. A list of what I want to do before I die.  I call it my 'doing the crazy thing' list. It is a list that I keep with me and review frequently.  I get great pleasure when I can mark off one of my to do's on my crazy thing lists.
For the beginning of 2013 I thought it would be great to be able to mark off of my list one of my 'crazy things'.  So my husband and I completed a 70.3 IronMan Triathlon.  That entails a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and a 13.1 mile run all in one race.  We completed it Jan 13, 2013 in Naples Florida. It was AWESOME!  Wohoo! CHECK!
But ever since my 70.3 Ironman Triathlon I just haven't been the same. I have been tired and sluggish and struggled with upper respiratory issues from swimming in the red tide. When you push your body to it's edge, what can you expect? It's all part of doing the crazy thing!  Heck, if we were to sit indoors all day afraid of getting sick then what is the point of living? Besides, sickness is actually good for us. Yes, you read it right. Our bodies were actually designed to get sick.  We have this wonderful little thermostat in our bodies that increases our temperature when it detects foreign intruders. That is why I always recommend to my patients that they do not reach for the tylenol or ibuprophen but simply let your body's natural defense mechanism kick in. That is what it is designed for. Too often when we start to run a fever we automatically try to stop it by taking a Tylenol or ibuprophen. This actually stops our natural immune system and makes us sicker and worse yet, even weaker. If you have a simple cold try letting your body run its course and detox naturally. Your body in turns becomes stronger and this also increases the immune system.
In helping my body kick the funk that I had created by stressing it, I did my simple detox system.  I now feel back to 100% with lots of energy and ready to start doing another crazy thing.  I will share my detox system with you in the coming days.
In the meantime, don't forget to do the crazy thing!
Namaste'
Annette Broy, RN,CCM,RYT
Let thy food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food...Hippocrates.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment